The earliest generally accepted incarnation of West Ham United was in 1895 when the Thames Ironworks team was founded by foreman and local league referee Dave Taylor and owner Arnold Hillsand this was announced in the Thames Ironworks Gazette of June 1895.
They moved to a pitch in the Upton Park area when the team officially severed ties with the company. After being made groundless in 1901 the team became transient, playing their home games on a number of local teams' grounds until moving to its current home, Upton Park or more properly the Boleyn Ground stadium in 1904.
They became the sixth London club to enter the Barclays Premier League when they gained promotion at the end of the 2010/11 season.
To get there from the Americana; go to Baker Street underground station and take the Hammersmith & City Line service from platform 5 to Upton Park. The football ground is a few minutes walk from Upton Park underground station